You’re looking for an innovative way to manipulate photos creatively, but don’t know where to start? What if you were to create pieces of art out of them? If you want to make your photo look like a drawing or if you want to take a photo that looks like a sketch, there are several different apps that you can use. After capturing your digital sketches, you will be able to use them to create things like greeting cards, artwork that can be hung, and gifts, such as pillows, blankets, or mugs, that can be personalized.
How to turn a photo into a drawing
The thing is, even if you don’t feel like playing with different photo-to-sketch converter apps at all, the process is not that hard, if you do. Nevertheless, in order to help you out, here are the best apps to convert photos into sketches. The following is how to use Paint and Prisma in order to convert a photo into an artwork using lines and sketches. Both of these programs are easy to use.
Convert your photo into a line drawing with Paint
Featuring more than 2,000 art filters, including 90 sketch effects, Painting is an easy to use app. You receive a free download of many of the filters on Painnt’s app when you first download it. Using premium filters can be accessed for a subscription fee of $9.99 per year. Here’s how to use Paint to turn your favorite photos into incredible sketches.
- Download the Paint app and open it on your iPhone.
- Browse the vast selection of filters and choose one that appeals to you. A list of the newest filters follow the “Free only today” section at the top. Among the genres grouped there are faces, modern, mosaics, nature, sketch, and others.
- The Photo Library opens to let you choose the photo that you want to turn into a drawing.
- Tap Done to convert your photo to a sketch or drawing.
- Several sliders will appear on the editing screen that enable you to adjust transparency, brightness, contrast, and saturation.
- Tap on the download icon after you have seen the results that you want. You then have the choice of sharing your creation on social media or saving it to your device or both. The drawing will be saved with a small watermark in the corner of the image unless you purchase the premium subscription option.
Turn a picture into a drawing with Prisma
In addition to Prisma, there are many free and affordable applications that you can use. If you want premium filters, you need to subscribe to a service, so we can say that these are affordable. It is a website that develops Prisma filters which are based on the works of famous artists such as Pablo Picasso, Edvard Munch, or Salvador Dali, and a new, free Prisma filter is released every day. Here’s a simple guide on how to convert a photo into a drawing using Prisma.
- Download the Prisma app and open it on your iPhone.
- Within the Prisma app, you will be able to view your library of photos. You can now edit the selected photo.
- Several additional premium filters are available in addition to the 12 free artistic filters. You can apply it to your picture by selecting one.
- Tap the tuning icon to make further adjustments to your photo.
- Tap the checkmark. Then tap the share icon.
- Your photo will either be shared or saved to your device.
- Your drawing will be saved without a watermark.
How to take a picture that looks like a drawing
There are also apps that will automatically turn your photos into sketches when you take a photo so that you can experiment with the photo-to-drawing conversion. With this method, you are able to obtain instant gratification as well as easy social sharing. For making this happen, you can use either the Messages app on your iPhone or Photo Lab.
Turn your photo into a drawing with Messages filters
Are you aware that there is a hidden filter within the Messages app on your iPhone that lets you take photos and create sketches that make them look like comic book drawings? There’s no doubt about it! Here are the steps to access them.
- Using the Messages app, open the recipient’s name and send a drawing to that person.
- Tap the camera icon to create your image.
- Select the filter icon, which appears as three connecting circles with different colors, before snapping a picture.
- At the bottom of the screen, you will find a list of filters. Select Comic Book.
- Frame your shot and tap the shutter button.
- Tap the arrow icon to send your photo drawing.
You might not be aware of the various photography tools in iOS, so see what else you can do with iPhone Photos in our guide on photo editing.
Turn your photo into a sketch with Photo Lab filters
Several different apps will allow you to apply your drawing filters within their camera screen before you take a photo. Because of how easy and free Photo Lab is to use, we love it. From simple sketches to elaborate scenes, you can use the free version to completely transform all your photos. There are some downsides to the free version, including ads and a watermark on your finished photo. A year’s subscription to the pro version costs $9.99.
Here’s how to use Photo Lab to take a photo and turn it into a drawing.
- Download Photo Lab and open it on your iPhone.
- Browse the available filters on the screen. There will be a word Pro in the corner of the premium filters. To use a filter, tap it.
- Tap the camera icon to open the Photo Lab camera.
- Frame your shot and tap the shutter.
- If the image is satisfactory, click Use Photo. Retake is the only option otherwise.
- You can crop or reorient your photo on the next screen. After you have finished, click on the arrow.
- Then your sketch will appear, followed by a processing screen. Adding text is as easy as tapping the + icon. Additionally, some filters can change the results or transform your photograph into a GIF.
- Finally, tap the share icon in the upper-right corner to save your photo or share it on social media.
- By tapping on the watermark in the free version of the application, you can remove it. After a short sponsored video, a pop-up menu will appear, asking if you would like the watermark to be removed. Watch the video by tapping yes.
iPhones are capable of much more than just taking pretty pictures. Turn your images into drawings, paintings, or other digital art with art apps that will let you do so. You will never run out of opportunities, and you will become addicted to the process.